Diary of a Makeup Artist or Makeup Tip #1.. Reluctant Advice Entry #9


So I've been asked more than once... "What is your favorite makeup?" This is not an easy question to answer. If I had not taken my vow to NEVER sell makeup again, perhaps it would be an easy shout out.

After working at a makeup counter by shear circumstance, my experience showed me that one product is not for everyone. I became the worst Beauty Advisor because I liked to tell the truth, and that doesnt help your paycheck. Be wary of "Counter Girlz and MAC bots" they have quotas and sales goals to meet. What they don't tell you is that God made us different in so many ways, including our body chemistry and style. I find myself saying the following time and time again...

"My first rule of makeup is... There are no rules. If you can slap it on in 5 minutes or less and feel ready for the day, then baby you look marvelous. It's all about confidence and how you carry yourself."

"What works great for me, may not work for you. Some women can only use Oil of Olay and some can only use Chanel. So I say start at the drug store and work your way up. Just because it has a hefty price tag doesnt mean its perfect for everyone."
I'm not a brand junkie, except for maybe Christian Dior for work, but I don't personally wear the stuff. Foundation seems to be a difficult one for everyone... am I right? I was in Wal-Mart the other day and a lady was buying foundation and asking her husband to pick out the color! He was so not into it. I stepped in and handed her my card. She had a beautiful colored skin that not a single line could duplicate. I have the same issue, not one single color matches my skin, in fact I belive this is the case for most women. I always use more than one color of foundation at work.

My advice: Buy two shades that you can mix. I do this daily. I have two bottles, one light and one dark, one is a bit more olive and the other more pink, I fall somewhere in between like the lady in Wal Mart. I put a bit of both, depending on the season and my tone determines how much of each I add to the mix, on the back of my hand and mix with my finger. I dont totally totally mix it, I like to use the lighter bit under my eyes and down the ridge of my nose, then I really mix and cover the rest of my face. Maybelline is my foundation of choice these days... Age Rewind... works for me..

Comments

Grand Pooba said…
Love the advise! It all makes sense! I think I've been wearing the same makeup since Jr. High!

Time for a change don't ya think?
Jeanette said…
Good advice. I have never found a true color match. I guess I'd better start mixing.
Bren's Life said…
A friend of mine that used to sell Mac took me there & told me to use it. So I have, well actually usually all I buy is the (I can't think what you call it) instead of foundation in a bottle it comes in a little compact case & you put it on with the sponge & it's not wet...
I need good concelear.
thanks for advice. I want to get rid of the fat face.
MaryRC said…
i like loreal concealers and maybelline age rewind too.
Brad and Hailey said…
Thansk for the advice! I have always had such a hard time with foundation as no shade is right. I recently figured out (through years of trial and error) that I needed to do the two bottle mix approach. You're awesome. Keep the advice flowing ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Tips by Mary RC, Backcombing like a pro VLOG #01

Fool Who Ripped her Pants..

Diary of a Makeup Artist #24 - Nothin At All